Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |

How To Apply

Collapse All | Expand All
To apply for a temporary food business licence, you will need to submit a complete application to Council. The following information will assist you in ensuring your application is complete and that you consider other applications that may be required for your business.
Prior to submitting your application you should ensure the site has relevant development approval to prevent the application being delayed.
Council has Development Approval information available online
A food safety program is a documented program that identifies and controls food safety hazards in the handling of food in a food business. Certain licensable food businesses must have a food safety program accredited by their local government. Licensable food businesses are required to have an accredited food safety program if:
  • the food business involves off‐site catering
  • the primary activity of the food business is on‐site catering at the premises stated in the licence
  • the primary activity of the food business is on‐site catering at part of the premises stated in the licence
  • the food business is carried on as part of the operations of a private hospital or otherwise processes or serves potentially hazardous food to six or more vulnerable persons.
Find out more about Food Safety Programs.

Do you use a vehicle for the delivery of unpackaged food? If yes, refer to mobile food premises information.

Do you intend to, or already have any advertising signs erected? If yes, refer to the advertising sign information.

Some temporary food premises require building approval, either via Council or a private certifier, prior to commencing operations. For more information contact Council.

Do you intend to sell alcohol on the premises? If yes contact the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation.

If you are registering a new business name you will need to contact the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC).  

If you operate your licensable food business from temporary premises, for example, stalls, fetes or markets, in more than one local Council area, you are required to hold a food business licence with each of the local Councils where you intend to operate. Contact each Council where you intend to operate regarding a food business licence.
The applicant for a licence must be a legal entity, for example, person(s) or a company.
Note - a business name or shop name is not a legal entity and cannot be the licence holder.

Application forms are available from Council.
Council telephone, email, post and office locations
or download here:
Plans detailing equipment (including hand wash facilities) and storage will be required. A basic plan (PDF 132KB) is usually sufficient. Also see the artist impression (PDF 774KB) for more information.
Applications may be subject to a building certification.

The applicant is encouraged to seek advice prior to submitting the application. No other certification will be required.
Whilst Council does not require you to have public liability insurance for this licence, you should research all options regarding your business insurance requirements.
Skills & Knowledge
You and your staff require adequate skills and knowledge in food handling to undertake specific tasks. For assistance, refer to the food handling skills and knowledge assessment and the training course in Tools and Resources.

Food Safety Supervisor
All licensable food businesses require a food safety supervisor.
    Find out more about Food Safety Supervisors (Word 869KB).
    Applications can be submitted (with the relevant fee) in person at Council offices or by surface mail.
    • Council telephone, email, post and office locations  
    • No fees are required for licensing or processing if the applicants business operates from a rateable property within the City.
      • If fees are applicable, refer to the application form for the fee amount
    • You are responsible for ensuring the temporary food business licence application is complete.
    • Prior to submitting your application you should ensure the site has relevant development approval to prevent the application being delayed.
    • Council will process your application within 30 days or within otherwise agreed time frames. You will be contacted should additional information be required to process the application. This may cause delays in processing your application.
    • You will be notified when a decision has been made regarding your application.
    • Council may conduct an inspection during the term of the licence.
    • If you would like to take over an temporary food premises contact Council.
    • If you want to make a minor change to your licence, for example, a change of contact details - contact Council. You are not required to submit an application for this.
    • You are encouraged to contact Council to discuss any other changes to your business.