Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |


" "


Council is required to monitor the standard of operations in accommodation premises to ensure the health and safety of occupants. This is achieved by regulating particular types of accommodation premises.
The applicant for an approval must be a legal entity, for example a person(s) or a Company.
Note - a business name or shop name is not a legal entity and cannot be the licence holder.

The following types of accommodation require an approval from Council:
  • All accommodation facilities provided for payment. This includes Motels, Hotels, Flats, Group & Strata Title units, Boarding Houses, Hostels and Dwelling houses.
  • This local law does not apply to accommodation requiring registration under the Residential Services (Accreditation) Act 2002 (boarding houses and supported accommodation). Application under this legislation must be made to the Residential Services Unit. Once you have liaised with Residential Services, please contact Council and arrange for a building compliance audit (as per MP5.7 of the Queensland Development Code) of your premises. This is a mandatory part of your application to Residential Services.

    The following types of accommodation do not require an approval from Council:
    • Provision of accommodation for immediate family members in exchange for a board payment. Examples: teenage or young adult children paying board to parents; aged parents living with their adult children and paying board to them.
    • Accommodation at premises where professional health, welfare care, or education, is provided or where community organisations provide sports training or recreation facilities. Examples: hospitals; nursing homes; convalescent homes; retirement homes; institutions providing treatment or facilities for persons with any kind of disability; secondary boarding schools; universities; surf clubs or scouting venues.
    • Home-stay accommodation at premises used as a residential dwelling which is occupied and continues to be occupied as the principal place of residence of at least one person, and in which that person(s) provides accommodation for up to four guests. 
    • Accommodation at premises whether in cabins, caravans or mobile homes in Local Government approved caravan or mobile home parks and camping grounds.
    • Employer provided accommodation.