Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |


" "

The information provided on this site will assist you in providing a safe and hygienic entertainment venue (such as ten-pin bowling alley, sporting club, cinema, gymnasium and fitness centre, etc) for your customers. If your specific questions are not answered on this site, contact Council.

Approval for entertainment venues is required under Council's planning scheme. Contact Council for more information.

The applicant for an approval must be a legal entity (e.g. person(s) or company).  Note - a business name or shop name is not a legal entity and cannot be the approval holder.

The following entertainment venues require an approval from Council:
  • a cinema;
  • a theatre;
  • a concert hall;
  • a billiard saloon;
  • an electronic games centre;
  • an indoor sports centre (including a bowling alley);
  • an art gallery;
  • a museum;
  • a bazaar or flea market (of a non-permanent nature);
  • a fair ground.

entertainment venue means a place that is open to the public for entertainment whether or not a charge for admission is made and whether or not the person who controls admission reserves a right to refuse admission but does not include a shop.

This list is not exhaustive and if you have another type of activity that isn't listed but appears to meet this definition of an entertainment venue, please contact Ipswich City Council on (07) 3810 6666.


The following entertainment venues do not require an approval from Council:
any shop or any premises or type of premises that Council may determine by resolution.