Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |


" "

The main purpose of regulating advertising signs is to ensure public safety and that they complement the surrounding environment. Advertising signs may be temporary, mobile or permanent. The approval also considers any structure forming part of the sign and its location on the building/property on which it is to be erected.

The applicant for a licence must be a legal entity (e.g. person(s) or company).
Note - a business name or shop name is not a legal entity and cannot be the licence holder.

You are required to check with Council that your advertising sign complies with the advertising code under the Council planning scheme and has the relevant development approval if required.

Step 1:
Check if your advertising sign is self assessable. If you meet the self assessment checklist, you are not required to submit a development application to Council.

Step 2:
If your advertising sign is not self assessable, it may be code assessable. Code assessable activities require an Integrated Development Assessment System (IDAS) application with Council.

Step 3:
If your advertising sign is beyond the criteria for code assessable, you will need to contact Council for further information on an Impact Assessment IDAS application.  Fees may apply to both code and impact assessable applications.

Once development approval has been confirmed your advertising sign may require a licence (local law approval).

The following types of advertising signs require a local law approval from Council:

All advertising signs on Council land (roads, road berms, footpaths, parks, bridges, etc.) Advertising signs on private land that are not exempt require a licence from Council. To check if your proposed sign is exempt refer to "Who does not need an approval"?
The following types of advertising signs do not require an approval from Council:

If completely located on Private Property:
  • a garage sale sign or a sign advertising the sale of a household good with a face area not exceeding 1.0m2; The sign must not be displayed more than four days per calendar year;
  • a real estate sign with a face area not exceeding 1.0m2, advertising the sale of the premises;
  • a charity advertising sign. This must be a freestanding sign or banner sign from an organisation recognised by the Australian Taxation Office as a non-profit, charity, health promotion organisation, or public benevolent institution. Signs must comply with Table 1:
  • an on-premises sign advertising security on the premises, placed on a fence or a wall and has a face area not exceeding 0.3m2;
  • an on-premises sign advertising a home business; and is the only advertisement on the premises; and has a face area not exceeding 0.5m2;
  • an on-premises sign not visible from any other premises, which does not involve building work; and
  • a building facade sign or a below awning sign, as specified in Table 5.3.14A of the advertising devices code in the planning scheme and has a face area not exceeding 20m2. 

For further information contact Council.
  Table 1

Type of advertising device

Face area (m2)

Maximum height (m)

Freestanding sign



Banner sign fixed to a wall, facade or fence


Not applicable

Banner sign hung from a building or a structure