Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |



Council is required to monitor the standard of operations in commercial accommodation premises to ensure the health and safety of occupants. This is achieved by regulating particular types of accommodation premises. 

The applicant for a licence must be a legal entity (eg person(s) or Company).
Note - a business name or shop name is not a legal entity and cannot be the licence holder.

The following types of commercial accommodation premises require a local law licence from Council:

  • Hotels
  • Motels
  • Motor Inns
  • Backpacker Hostels
  • Bed and Breakfasts
  • Retirement Village or Institution that is not subject to government funding programmes 

This local law does not apply to accommodation requiring registration under the Residential Services (Accreditation) Act 2002 (Boarding houses and Supported Accommodation). Application under this legislation must be made to the Office of Fair Trading. Once you have liaised with the Office of Fair Trading, please contact Council and arrange for a building compliance audit (as per Part 20 of the Queensland Development Code) of your premises. This is a mandatory part of your application for accreditation.

The following types of accommodation do not require an approval from Council:

  • Private flats, units and rental houses
  • Hospitals
  • Religious institutions such as a convent or monastery  
  • Residential colleges and boarding schools operated by an educational establishment
  • Community title lots
  • Relocatable home parks (licensed as a relocatable home park

For information on licensing requirements for relocatable home parks and temporary accommodation - refer to Caravan Parks & Camping section.