Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |


" "

The information provided on this site will assist you in providing a safe and hygienic entertainment venue (such as ten-pin bowling alley, sporting club, cinema, gymnasium and fitness centre, etc) for your customers. If your specific questions are not answered on this site, contact Council.

Approval for entertainment venues is required under Council's planning scheme. Contact Council for more information.
The applicant for an approval must be a legal entity (e.g. person(s) or company).  Note - a business name or shop name is not a legal entity and cannot be the approval holder.

The following entertainment venues require an approval from Council:
A person that provides a place that is open to the public for entertainment (includes recreation and amusement), regardless of whether or not a fee is charged for admission, and regardless of whether or not rights are reserved to control admission.

Entertainment Venues include:
  • a cinema
  • a theatre
  • a concert hall
  • a billiard saloon
  • an electronic games centre 
  • an indoor sports centre (including a bowling alley)
  • an art gallery
  • a museum
  • a bazaar or flea market (of non-permanent nature)
  • a fair ground.
The following entertainment venues do not require an approval from Council:
  • An entertainment venue does not include a shop, or a premises licensed under the Liquor Act 1992

Development Approval
You must ensure your venue has the relevant Development Approval. Contact council for more information.

Do you intend to, or already operate a food business? If yes, you may also require a Food Business licence. For further information, refer to the Fixed Food Business information.

Advertising Signs

Do you intend to, or already have any advertising signs/devices erected? If yes, refer to the Advertising Sign information.

Building or Plumbing Approval
Do you intend to build additional structures on site? If yes, you may need to obtain building approval, either from Council or a private certifier.

Business name registration
If you are registering a new business name you will need to contact the
Queensland Government Office of Fair Trading.

Liquor Licensing

Contact Liquor Licensing Division for Liquor Licence enquiries.