Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |


The main purpose of regulating entertainment venues is to ensure these activities are carried out in a safe manner for patrons, whilst preventing nuisances to the surrounding environment. If your specific questions are not answered on this site, contact Council.

The applicant for an approval must be a legal entity (e.g. person(s) or company).  Note - a business name or shop name is not a legal entity and cannot be the approval holder.

The following entertainment venues require an approval from Council:
For previously Gayndah and Eidsvold Regional Council,
  • cinema;
  • theatre;
  • concert hall;
  • billiard saloon;
  • >electronic games centre;
  • indoor sports centre (including a bowling alley);
  • art gallery;
  • museum;
  • bazaar or flea market (of a non-permanent nature);
  • fair ground.
  • "entertainment venue" means a place that is open to the public for entertainment but does not include a shop or licensed premises.
    Explanatory note
    A place is taken to be open to the public
    (a) whether or not a charge for admission is made; and
    (b) whether or not the person who controls admission to the place reserves a right to refuse admission.
For previously Mundubbera Regional Council,
  • theatre
  • dancing hall
  • music hall
  • any location used for an athletic event or boxing
  • circus
  • cinematograph exhibition
  • exhibition for hire or profit
  • bowling alley
  • speedway
  • or other place of public amusement or entertainment whether a charge is made for admission or not.
The following entertainment venues do not require an approval from Council:
For previously Gayndah and Eidsvold Regioal Council,
  • shop
  • licensed premises
"shop" means premises for the wholesale or retail sale of goods and includes a warehouse.
"licensed premises" means premises for which a licence is in force under the Liquor Act 1992.

For previously Mundubbera Regional Council,
  • Any school, hall, or building belonging to or used by a public educational authority or by a religious body or denomination in connection with a church or place of public worship whilst such school, hall, or building is used solely for -
    (i) Educational instruction; or
    (ii) Meeting for religious worship or instruction or the propagation of the Gospel, or any religious tenet or belief; or
    (iii) Tea meetings, concerts, or lectures held in connection with the educational authority or denomination or religious body to which such school, hall, or building belongs
  • Any public sports ground or the like not used or let for private gain used for the playing of athletic games or competitions
  • Any building or part of a building not accommodating more than fifty persons.