Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |


" "

Council regulates roadside vendors to ensure these activities are carried out in a safe manner for road users and pedestrians. This activity means the commercial supply of goods or services on a road. Roadside vending can involve travelling from place to place on a road and the waving down of the person operating the roadside vending by a customer (mobile roadside vending) or the activity being established in one place (stationary roadside vending).   This approval does not apply to footpath dining activities.

If your specific questions are not answered on this site, contact Council.
The applicant for an approval must be a legal entity, for example, person(s) or a company.
Note - a business name or shop name is not a legal entity and cannot be the approval holder.
The following activities require an approval from Council:

Roadside vendors are regulated by locals laws as;

Commercial Use of Local Government Controlled Areas and Roads means the use of a local government controlled area or road for soliciting or carrying on the supply of goods and services (including food or drink) for profit, but does not include the following—

(a) the provision of a public passenger service under the Transport Operations (Passenger Transport) Act 1994;
(b) a business on part of a road if the person carrying on the business is authorised by a permit under the Land Act 1994 to occupy the relevant part of the road for carrying on the business;
(c) a business that a person is authorised to carry on under the Transport Infrastructure Act 1994;
(d) using a road for a particular purpose if the use constitutes development under the Planning Act;
(e) operation of a temporary entertainment event;
(f) undertaking a regulated activity on a local government controlled area or road where the activity is the holding of a public place activity.
The following are examples of activities that require an approval from Council:

• Itinerant vending - for example an icecream truck driving and stopping for business, then driving off
• Roadside stalls (located on the road reserve)
• Footpath stalls (fee relief available for not-for-profits)
• Touting

The following activities do not require an approval from Council:
  • None Stated