Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |


" "

The main purpose of regulating advertising signs is to ensure public safety and that they complement the surrounding environment. Advertising signs may be temporary, mobile or permanent. The approval also considers any structure forming part of the sign and its location on the building/property on which it is to be erected.

The applicant for a licence must be a legal entity (e.g. person(s) or company).
Note - a business name or shop name is not a legal entity and cannot be the licence holder.

You are required to check with Council that your advertising sign complies with the advertising code under the Council planning scheme and has the relevant development approval if required.

Step 1:
Check if your advertising sign is self assessable. If you meet the self assessment checklist, you are not required to submit a development application to Council.

Step 2:
If your advertising sign is not self assessable, it may be code assessable. Code assessable activities require an Integrated Development Assessment System (IDAS) application with Council.

Step 3:
If your advertising sign is beyond the criteria for code assessable, you will need to contact Council for further information on an Impact Assessment IDAS application.  Fees may apply to both code and impact assessable applications.

Once development approval has been confirmed your advertising sign may require a licence (local law approval).

The following types of advertising signs require a local law approval from Council:

  • movable (temporary) advertising devices on public land
  • movable (temporary) advertising devices on private land
  • variable message signs (VMS) on public land
  • variable message signs (VMS) on private land
  • permanent signs on public land

Permanent signs on private property may require Development Approval. Please contact Council's Development Information for more information.

For information on requirements for other types of signage please contact Council.

The following types of advertising signs do not require an approval from Council:

Temporary advertising devices can be located on:

  • private land
  • public land
  • council land
  • state-controlled roads.

The signs do not require approval from Council if they meet the conditions for the specific type of sign.

Refer to the information pack for general and specific area conditions:

Note: An Application for approval for movable advertising device (Word 368KB) is required if the device does not meet the conditions.