Do I need a licence?
When you need a licence
You need a licence to perform the following activities:
- body piercing
- implanting a natural or synthetic substance into a person’s skin, for example hair or beads
- scarring or cutting a person’s skin using a sharp instrument to make a permanent mark, pattern or design
- tattooing (including cosmetic tattooing and semi-permanent make-up)
- tattoo removal using micro needles.
When you don't need a licence
You do not need a licence if you perform the following activities:
- non-higher risk personal appearance services, including:
- beauty therapy (including facial or body treatments, application of cosmetics, manicures or pedicures, application of, or mending artificial nails, hair removal by electrolysis or wax)
- closed ear or nose piercing
- massage therapy
- tattoo removal using a laser - you don’t need a licence from Council but you do need a laser licence issued by Queensland Health
- personal appearance services provided within a health-care facility – you don’t need a licence from Council but need to comply with relevant medical legislation.