Home based activities

Council's planning scheme guides how land can be used and developed. When starting your business, you will need to contact Council to find out if you need to submit a development application or if you can perform a self-assessment.


Do I need an approval?

Depending on what you do, your home based business may impact your neighbours. That is why the planning scheme has different rules depending on the activity. Contact Council to find out if a planning approval is required for your business.

If you are running a food business or beauty, hairdressing or tattooing business from home, there are other approvals you need to consider.

If you want to display an advertising sign for your home business, you may need an approval from Council.

In the Sunshine Coast region, approval may be required under Council's planning scheme. Contact Council's Development Information.

Tools and resources