Hair dressing, beauty therapy and skin penetration activities such as tattooing and body piercing are known as personal appearance services. Businesses that provide personal appearance services need to meet Council's planning scheme requirements and comply with the:
- Public Health (Infection Control for Personal Appearance Services) Act 2003
- Infection Control Guidelines for Personal Appearance Services.
A personal appearance service business can be operated from a home, commercial premises or mobile premises (e.g. a caravan). You may need to get planning, building or plumbing approvals prior to starting your business.
Some personal appearance services have a higher risk of spreading disease or causing infection. Businesses providing higher risk services require a licence from Council.
Find out what you need to start a new business or take over an existing business, including information about:
- if you need planning, building and plumbing approvals
- design and fit-out requirements you need to consider
- if you need a licence for your personal appearance service business
- how to operate your business safely.