What is COVID-19?
The COVID-19 virus is a new strain of coronavirus known to cause respiratory infections in humans.
Signs and symptoms
The most common symptoms include:
- a dry cough
- sore throat
- shortness of breath.
Other less common symptoms can include aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose or diarrhea. For more information on symptoms, refer to the COVID-19 - identifying the symptoms fact sheet.
If you are feeling unwell, contact your doctor or call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84). You can also use the Healthdirect COVID-19 symptom checker online tool.
Some people who have been infected do not develop or show any symptoms and do not feel unwell.
Who is at risk
Based on what is known about the coronavirus, people most at risk of infection are:
- people with compromised immune systems (such as people who have cancer)
- elderly people
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people (as they have higher rates of chronic illness)
- people with chronic medical conditions
- people in group residential settings
- people in detention facilities.
To help stop the spread of the virus and to help protect those most at risk, keep up to date with the recommendations from Queensland Health and the Australian Government Department of Health.
State Government updates and alerts
Council help and support
Queensland councils are supporting Queensland Health and the Australian Government in the response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The health and wellbeing of residents, businesses and the community remain a priority.
Stay informed with the latest updates and impacts from your local council.
South East Queensland councils
Regional Queensland local governments
Advice and support for local businesses
The Australian Government, Queensland Government and local governments are providing advice and support for businesses affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Keep up to date with how this affects your business, how to keep the workplace safe, what support is available and how to access it.
- Information for industry and businesses
- Business Queensland: Economic relief and support package summary for businesses
- Get Ready Queensland - protect your business
- COVID-19 resources for businesses
- COVID SAFE Businesses Framework
COVID Safe Checklists
Food safety for businesses and consumers
Be prepared and stay informed with the latest advice and information on the impacts of COVID-19 and food safety.