How you can protect yourself
- Limit your time in mosquito areas especially around dawn and dusk.
- Use insect repellent.
- Wear long, loose clothing.
- Install or repair insect screens to doors and windows.
Read more in the Guide to personal protection strategies against Australian mosquitoes.
How to reduce mosquito breeding
Mosquitoes breed in fresh or salt water and almost any site or container holding water. Some examples of places where they breed include:
- buckets and containers
- saltmarsh coastal areas
- pot plant bases
- inside plants that catch water such as bromeliads.
Find more information on mosquito breeding places.
Remove potential mosquito breeding sites by:
- tipping out any water in plastic containers, buckets, pot plant trays
- clear your roof guttering of rotting leaves
- dispose of fallen palm fronds and coconut shells
- throw away empty containers, tyres or anything else that catches rain around the yard.
Council has mosquito management programs to reduce mosquito breeding grounds on public land. Contact Council for more information.