Entertainment events

The main purpose of regulating entertainment events is to ensure these activities are carried out in a safe manner for patrons, whilst preventing nuisances to the surrounding environment. Compliance with Council's requirements will assist you in providing a safe event for your patrons. If your specific questions are not answered on this site, contact Council.

Do I need an approval?

When you need an approval

The following activities require an approval from Council:

Your council does not have any specific information on licensing entertainment events.

When you do not need an approval

The following activities do not require an approval under Council's local law:

Your council does not have any specific information on licensing entertainment events.

How to apply

To apply for an entertainment event approval, you will need to submit a complete application to Council a minimum of four to six weeks prior to the date of the event. The following information will assist you in ensuring your application is complete and that you consider other applications that may be required for your event.

Development Approval

You may need to submit a development application to Council for your entertainment event. Development approvals are made under the Planning Act 2016. To find out if a development approval is required for your business, contact Council.

Related Applications

  • Do you intend to close a road, lane or Council parking bay? If yes, contact Council. If the proposed closure is on a state-controlled road, written permission from the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads must be obtained. Note that you must get final approval from Queensland Police Service for the road closure.
  • Do you intend to sell food at the event? If yes, refer to the food information.
  • Do you intend to, or already have any advertising signs erected? If yes, refer to the advertising sign information.
  • Do you intend to use special effects such as pyrotechnic explosions or fireworks? If yes, approval is required from Queensland Department of Natural Resources and Mines. You must also advise Queensland Police Service, Department of Emergency Services and Queensland Fire Rescue Service of your intentions.
  • Do you intend to sell alcohol on the premises? If yes contact Queensland Government Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation.
  • If you are registering a new business name you will need to contact the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC).


Application forms are available from Council offices.


To assess the suitability of your event, Council may require you to submit the following plans with your application. Contact Council to check which plans are required for your event.

  • A site plan to scale including details of the following where applicable:
    • entry and exit points from the event and adjoining buildings
    • emergency services designated areas and access points
    • location and arrangement of noise sources
    • location and arrangement of light sources
    • location of restricted areas
    • method of proposed ventilation (for any indoor event)
    • location of bins and toilets
    • location of food and drinks stalls including potable water supply source.
  • You may be required to prepare and submit an event management plan to ensure that you address all of the high-risk issues during your event. For more information on developing an event management plan, see the event management planning guide.
  • Noise from your event can disturb neighbours, disrupt their sleep and cause other health effects. Council may restrict the operating hours for your event to limit the noise impact. A noise management plan may be required if your event includes live bands or amplified music. A qualified acoustic engineer should write your noise management plan and it should include:
    • a site plan with the neighbouring land use, location and orientation of stages and public address or audio systems
    • details of all possible noise sources and noise barriers
    • noise reduction measures to be used
    • details of the acoustic monitoring to be conducted during the event
    • a plan to notify surrounding premises of the event and potential noise
    • a plan to manage complaints received before, during and after the event.

Example Plans


These certificates are required by Council prior to issue of the approval:

  • building/engineering certification for any temporary fixtures, e.g. stage, shade awnings or grandstand seating or tents
  • temporary tents that have a plan area more than 100m2 but less than 500m2 can be self assessed using the Building Regulation 2006
  • Queensland Fire and Rescue Service endorsement of evacuation plan
  • Workplace Health and Safety certification for amusement rides
  • electricians certificate for generator enhanced power supply.

How to submit an application

Applications can be submitted (with the relevant fee) in person at Council offices or by surface mail.

The applicant for a licence must be a legal entity (e.g. person(s) or company). Note - a business name or shop name is not a legal entity and cannot be the licence holder.

Application Process - New

You are responsible for ensuring your application is complete.

  • You will be contacted should additional information be required to process your application.
  • You will be notified when a decision has been made regarding your application.
  • When approved, you can then commence operation in accordance with the approved application.
  • Council may inspect the site before, during and/or after the event.

Application Process - Making changes

You are encouraged to contact Council to discuss any changes to your event operation.

How to comply


The following tools and resources allow the event organiser to know what is required to ensure the event is operating lawfully. When used effectively, these tools will assist to minimise the impact on patrons and surrounding neighbourhood and avoid enforcement action.

Regulation (Inspection process)

Council officers will monitor your event to check compliance with your approval conditions. If your event includes live bands or amplified music, they may also conduct noise monitoring. Noise from the event must comply with your approval conditions. If you do not have any approval conditions you will need to comply with the noise criteria for open air events, which can be found in section 440X of the Environmental Protection Act 1994.


When operating an event, licence conditions and relevant legislation must be complied with.

If you have difficulty complying, contact Council.

Failure to comply may result in one or more of the following enforcement actions:

  • prescribed infringement notices (PIN or on-the-spot fines)
  • withholding of bond (or partial withholding) if applicable
  • event closure
  • prosecution.

Complaint management

Council has a duty to investigate and respond to complaints received.

A complaint may result in any of the above enforcement actions.


There are no provisions for renewal of event approvals.

If you need to amend contact details on your approval or require a copy of your approval, contact Council.

Toilet facilities

This page is designed as a guide only to provide event operators with relevant information regarding adequate provision of toilet facilities at events. For detailed information, see the event industry guidelines.

Many events are judged on the adequacy and cleanliness of the toilet facilities.

Depending on the nature and duration of the event, event operators need to ensure that adequate toilet facilities are provided for patrons, entertainers and support staff. These facilities must include water closet pans, urinals and hand basins. Showers are required where camping is proposed in conjunction with the event.

Facilities should be adequate in number, conveniently located, suitable for the event and maintained in a clean and tidy manner so that insanitary conditions do not occur. The toilet facilities must have the necessary provisions for the collection, treatment and disposal of sewage and wastewater.

Toilet facilities

Unless otherwise permitted by the relevant authority, all toilets must be water-flush and have hand basins provided, connected to a cold water supply. Portable water-flush toilets must be provided where existing toilet facilities are inadequate.

Toilet and hand basin facilities should be:

  • clearly designated, with a separate approach for each sex, and with unisex toilets for persons with a disability
  • separate from food service preparation and storage areas
  • cleaned and maintained for the duration of the event
  • well-lit and clearly identified
  • situated and screened to ensure privacy
  • provided with hand washing basins with cold running water, soap (bar or liquid), disposable towels or air dryers and waste containers
  • provided with toilet paper
  • provided with separate disposal units for sanitary napkins, nappies, incontinence pads, condoms, needles and syringes, and other rubbish
  • provided with nappy changing facilities
  • serviced (including pump-out of portables) on a 24-hour basis during the event (vehicular access necessary).

Number of toilets required

There is no uniform Australian Standard for calculating the number of toilets required for events. However, when planning the provision of toilet facilities, the following should be taken into consideration:

  • type of event
  • duration of the event
  • crowd type and activities
  • number of patrons
  • alcohol and food consumption.

The following tables should be used as a guide only for events of one day or more (events of one or two hours with no food or drink may require fewer facilities).

Table 1: Toilet facilities for events where alcohol is not available
Patrons Male WC Male urinals Male hand basin Female WC Female hand basin
< 500 1 2 2 6 2
< 1000 2 4 4 9 4
< 2000 4 8 6 12 6
< 3000 6 15 10 18 10
< 5000 8 25 17 30 17
Table 2: Toilet facilities for events where alcohol is available
Patrons Male WC Male urinals Male hand basin Female WC Female hand basin
< 500 3 8 2 13 2
< 1000 5 10 4 16 4
< 2000 9 15 7 18 7
< 3000 10 20 14 22 14
< 5000 12 30 20 40 20
Table 3: Reducing toilet facilities for short duration events
Duration of event Quantity required
8 hours plus 100%
6-8 hours 80%
4-6 hours 75%
Less than 4 hours 70%

In addition to the above tables, the following facilities must also be provided:

  • one sanitary convenience bin per female toilet
  • separate toilet and hand washing facilities for food handlers
  • at least one unisex toilet for patrons with a disability at each group of toilet facilities (refer to the Building Code of Australia for more information)
  • the Building Code of Australia indicates that 1 urinal space = 0.6 m.

The event operator may also consider the provision of additional unisex toilets to alleviate long queues.

Ablution facilities at event camping sites

Suggested minimum requirements for camping facilities based on two to three nights camping according to the Emergency Management Australia Manual, Safe and Healthy Mass Gatherings:

Table 4: Ablution facilities
Sex WC Urinal Hand basin Showers
Male 1 per 50* 1 per 100* 1 per 75* 1 per 100*
Female 1 per 25* N/A 1 per 75* 1 per 100*

(* units expressed as per person, i.e. 1 WC per 50 persons)

Maintenance of facilities

To maintain facilities in a sanitary condition, they must be cleaned at least daily or more frequently where necessary to prevent nuisance or offensive conditions and infestation/harbourage by insects or pests.

A cleaning schedule should be established for toilet facilities and hand basins to cover frequency of cleaning, monitoring, equipment and chemicals to be used. Maintenance and cleaning schedules for toilets and hand-basins must ensure:

  • an adequate supply of toilet paper and soap
  • cleaning of toilets to a suitable timetable
  • provision for disposal and removal of sanitary napkins
  • availability of a plumber or appropriate maintenance person to repair or remove blockages
  • adequate cleaning supplies are available for cleaning staff.

Waste, recycling and litter control

This content is designed as a guide only to provide event operators with relevant information regarding adequate management of waste and litter control. You can find more detailed information in the Queensland sustainable events guideline (waste).

Events can generate a considerable amount of waste through catering and other activities. Event operators must ensure waste is managed, during and after the event, to prevent unsanitary conditions and environmental harm, such as litter entering waterways. A waste management plan must be considered as part of your event application to Council.

Solid waste such as rubbish and food waste has a high risk of nuisance, as well as infestation by vermin, if not adequately controlled. Event operators must provide an adequate number of rubbish bins with lids, with regular emptying as often as needed to prevent infestation and overflow.

Waste and litter management

Waste management at events involves reducing, re-using and recycling.

Events must have suitable and adequate facilities for the storage and collection of solid waste and recyclables that are easily identifiable and accessible by patrons, food vendors and waste collectors.

Litter management

Litter, especially broken glass, is unhygienic and can cause serious injuries. It may even be used as a weapon or missile. The following must be considered as part of a managing litter plan for your event:

  • “no glass” policy
  • containers provided specifically for the disposal of glass, sharp objects, and separate syringe disposal unit/s
  • collection and disposal of litter regularly throughout the event
  • relocation of bins from low use to high demand areas
  • covering of bulk bins to contain waste and prevent scavenging by birds
  • covering of bulk bins to prevent wind-blown litter from covering entrances to stormwater drains (must have gauze/mesh where there is a chance of litter gaining access to drains).

An event involving animals will require the provision of appropriate equipment and sealed bags/containers for the immediate collection of any animal droppings. Animal droppings must not be disposed of in garden beds.

During the event

All waste generated by the event must be collected and disposed of in a manner which maintains the area in a clean, tidy, sanitary and hygienic condition. You can manage waste during your event by:

  • clearly labelling recycling and waste bins
  • arranging public announcements on waste and recycling facilities
  • emptying waste bins at regular intervals into bulk bins
  • using bins liners in all waste bins
  • engaging trained personnel for site litter and bin management
  • monitoring waste and recycling bins for minimal or high use, and providing additional bins if necessary
  • advising stallholders of waste management requirements
  • ensuring food scraps or offensive waste are disposed of in lidded bins.

After the event

Waste can be controlled after the event by:

  • completing site clean-up of all litter and disposing into appropriate bins
  • placing waste containers in agreed location for collection (waste bins and recycle bins should be grouped separately to allow access by contractors)
  • closing lids on any bulk bins.

Bin placement

The number and placement of bins, as well as the bins themselves, influences whether people will use the bins and recycle items.

How people move around and use a site determines the optimal placement of bins (the distance people are prepared to walk to throw waste in a bin is considered to be six metres).

Bins should be placed:

  • in accessible points close to where patrons pass by
  • where people enter and exit
  • for the convenience of the user, rather than the collector
  • where they can be effectively emptied and serviced, especially in peak periods
  • where patrons may gather to view displays, rides etc
  • away from services and building structures such as fire exits, walls and congested pedestrian areas
  • where items are likely to be thrown away, not where they are bought, such as near entrances and exits, within eating areas, near toilets, walkways and car parks.


Recycling forms part of everyday activities in most homes and people often look to recycle in all places they visit. Implementing recycling as part of waste management for your event can lead to cost savings in reduced packaging, as well as environmental benefits in reduced littering.

Caterers and food vendors can recycle and reduce packaging at events by:

  • re-using items where possible, such as non-disposable cutlery and crockery
  • segregating recyclables, such as bottles, cans, cartons, organics, rubbish, paper and cardboard, corks and food oil (cardboard boxes should be flattened)
  • informing staff and suppliers on the importance of minimising waste, including packaging of food and quantities of serviettes
  • providing food and drinks in recyclable containers, such as non-plasticised paper plates and cups, glass, cans and PET plastic bottles and using recyclable packaging such as cardboard boxes (polystyrene and waxed cardboard are not recyclable).

Where food and beverages are supplied in recyclable packaging, recycle bins must be provided for patron use especially near food areas. Recycle bins must be placed side-by-side with waste bins not back-to-back.

Waste and recyclable materials from stalls should be separated and contained “back of house” and not placed in bins at recycling stations.