Transporting waste and other materials
Tips for safely transporting waste
- For safe transportation, check manufacturer’s instructions and maximum weight load or otherwise ensure the construction of the trailer/tray is adequate for the load.
- Make sure the trailer/tray is well maintained to prevent material from escaping.
- Make sure vehicles are free of oil and fuel leaks.
- Spread the weight.
- Confine load within the trailer/tray.
- Dampen soil and sand before transporting to minimise dust.
- If transporting a bin or skip, ensure lid is closed, load is covered and waste is properly secured.
- Always cover and secure load with straps or rope. Covers include: tarpaulins, trailer nets, purpose designed covers, or other material that adequately confines and secures the load.
- Check the load regularly during transportation.
- Sweep the trailer/tray after unloading.
- When delivering materials, arrange to unload on a grassed or gravelled area away from stormwater drains, roadside gutters and waterways.
- Clean up any spills or leaks immediately using shovels and brooms or dry absorbent materials such as kitty litter, rags, or a bund for liquid materials.
Disposal of waste
- Always dispose of waste materials at an approved waste disposal facility or recycling and reprocessing facility.
- Liquid waste discharge to sewage requires a trade waste permit from your water authority.